Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Price of War II: Mercs vs Skorne 25pts

Had another game of Warmachine last weekend this time I pit my Mercenaries against Cash' Skorne army. I used the same army I did last time while Cash used the Skorne army with the following:

Lord Assassin Morghul
Cyclops Savage
Titan Gladiator
Cataphract Arcuarii (min unit)
Praetorian Karax (max unit?)
Hakaar the Destroyer
Farrow Razorback Crew

I had a very rough idea of what the Skorne was capable of having glanced in their general direction a few times when deciding which army to play. I knew that Morghul was quite good at the assassination game (as befits his title of course). So my rough battle plan was to tempt Morghul to come forward and pounce.

The first turn or two it was a stand off with my army advancing forward in a crescent formation while my Halberdiers ran as fast as they could to right flank of the Skorne Army. The Skorne army decided to wait around for my army to arrive as it slowly advanced it's shield wall. A few pot shots from my riflemen managed to knock out some Karax.

Then I made a fatal mistake, believing that Magnus' feat "hit and run" could be used to advance my army unload with all my firepower/weapons and then slink back... Unfortunately I was unaware that "battle group" meant only Magnus himself and the jacks under his control were allowed to use the feat... To say this had disastrous results would be an understatement to say the least. All of my units were prime to getting viciously mauled is just about right to describe what happened.

With such a set back most people would of thrown in the towel but in the spirit of learning from my mistakes I kept in the gaming. I even had a few funny moments mixed in ala "trench spade" from a Rifleman hurting the Cyclops. Though all good things come to an end, when Magnus was dragged by the Arcuraii then finished off by Morghul.

All in all it was a good game and even if I was beat to a pulp a learned a few good lessons.. namely:

Battle group - I guess it's my fault, I tend not to read the rulebook much and learn in the way of someone showing me a demo. I will not say brag and say this sole misunderstanding cost me "the win" or the game. But rather knowing the subtle difference of what "battle group" to army was could of led me NOT to do anything rash like I had done. Live and learn.

Gorman - Actually using him this time was great actually, though he only lobbed two of his grenades they did well on both occasions.

Jacks - While researching other Mercenary casters I noticed that Drake Mcbain was also someone I would be interested in testing out. I realize now that Magnus would better be served by a slightly different army. Nothing major just a subtle change here and there, not quite finished with list yet but for now I will remain playing the same army at 25pts.

Spells - Seeing as Magnus can upkeep spells without spending focus I should of just put Blur on him. It would of defintely helped him against the Arcuarii trying to reel him in with their harpoons. I am also considering giving the Nomad "Iron Aggression" while giving the Renegade "Temper Metal" or "Snipe".

No comments: