Thursday, September 2, 2010

Well, I got my rat ogre...

Cash Johnson with a double Blood Bowl report once more. It was a good day for the sport all around - we may have converted two more people to play the game, plus had two boards running at once in the store, which for a non-paying league is pretty impressive in this day and age. Plus the order was put in for my official Blood Bowl Minotaur so I can stop using the oversized Beastmen variant (sans arms) who has been dubbed "Buns of Tin" due to his posterior. But, I digress...

The first game was Clan Xymox against Drew's custom-sculpted Chaos Dwarves, who I must say were incredibly well made - he green-stuffed the crazy beards, used push pins for their crazy gourd-shaped helmets, and even went so far as to kitbash two Bull Centaurs from Marauder horses and Orks, with another generous helping of green stuff (he'd better post images of them on his own blog though, since I only go so far when kissing ass). At any rate, it was expected to be a high injury game on my part, seeing as how getting hit by Dwarves of any sort is not what I want to happen.

What followed, however, was an intense and tactical matchup of speed against staying power, both sides running the clock due to an inability to break armour on either side. Drew scored the first half, I scored the second, and the casualty pile was simply #7 missing next game with a Niggling Injury (one more and he's scrapped) and one dead Lineman (Blag Warptail II), who was immediately chopped up and used to add the finishing touches on my latest addition to Clan Xymox - my #13 Rat Ogre, Jonathan Brisby (bonus points to anyone who gets the ironic reference). With the record at 3 wins, 3 losses and my first draw, the team is taking a little longer than I would have liked to develop. Perhaps next season I will just start with Jonathan on the team and keep it at an even 11 players (instead of the spare Lineman at 12).

The Reikland Wrath suffered their first loss today against Jon's Khemri team, but this was due to spectacularly poor rolls at critical moments. Goretusk failed me for the first time today, failing his Wild Animals rolls on several occasions to lay down and take a nap for 3/4 of the game (though he caused his 5th casualty before doing so). Abrax the Twisted was concussed in the first half and still managed to get the MVP for the day, as his braining was the most action my team managed to perform. All three of my Warriors kept rolling Attacker and Both Down results, forcing me to use re-rolls I would have preferred to save for better moments. By the end of the 2-0 loss, the only positive result was Abrax's second MVP got him Foul Appearance, so at least opponents may think twice before touching him in the future. On the positive side, I still got 40,000 gold for the day, and spent it on 2 Assistant Coaches and 2 Cheerleaders, leaving me with another 100,000 in the Treasury in case I decide a fourth Warrior would do me well.

In all, these days are expected to happen every now and again. On the positive side, I did manage to get a double Sideline in the first game, knocking a Bull Centaur into the crowd, followed by a Cave Slave (Drew uses human prisoners instead of Hobgoblins), both by Bulk Irontail in two consecutive turns. I look forward to seeing how Jonathan Brisby works out, and whether or not I can ever get more experience on my three Warriors. Maybe next week, I tell myself...

- Cash

No comments: