Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Original Grass Roots Movement... Orcs!

Sorry for the long delay i know that i promised updates bi-weekly or at least pictures but like any good politician worth their weight in salt i couldn't complete them. Not to say that i've been away from the hobby though i must admit between a social life (drinking, gambling, and women),Warhammer Online, Fall Out 3 and Left 4 Dead that i almost fell off the hobby completely...

I guess part of the reason why i haven't been doing much on the hobby front is because my general lack of interest in warhammer 40k. The new 5th edition rule set didn't really sit all that well in the group. Also add in the fact that the group mainly is into skirmish games because we find them more challenging and rewarding. It almost completely stopped me from building my infamous "Old School" ork army (made up of all old miniatures dating from Rogue Trader and 2nd edition).

During this time i dusted off my dark elves as their rules came out, i found them to be quite fun to play! Fantasy has always been fun for me definitely more so than 40k just required more thought and planning than 40k. But even after these fun games i rarely took out the elves for more action...

When all seemed lost and my armies looking to be mothballed i decided to clean out my locker at work (full of white dwarf magazines... well among other things...). When one of my coworkers decided to browse through the magazines, well wouldn't you know it their youthful enthusiasm reminded me why i loved playing the games so much. As if on cue my good friend Hoj bought an Ogre Kingdoms army on the cheap and practically gave me an Orc and Goblin army! If that isn't great news in itself my coworker accompanied me to a local games workshop and decided on Warriors of Chaos army... because in his words "they look like they can beat the shit out of those puny goblins".

We decided to start a small escalation campaign using the mighty empires rule set and tiles in order to all get motivated to built, paint and play a string of games. Since we have 'floating' armies in the books we can hopefully convince the other players to use these armies obviously adding to the armies as time goes on. As there are a few things i want to add to my dark elves for flavor i wouldn't mind of course.

When i started counting the tally of what my friend gave me in a big box of Orcs and Goblins the running tally so far is:

Lords/Heros:
Leader box (mounted/foot)
Night Goblin Big Boss blister (2 total)
Night Goblin Big Boss on Monster Squig

Core:
Box of Orcs x2 (38 total)
OOP Metal Orcs x20 (painted..shame they have to be stripped)
Box of Night Goblins x2 (40 total)
Night Goblin Archers x40
Night Goblin Fanatics x6 (the new plastic ones, i'm prefer the metal ones though)
Box of Goblin Wolf Riders (10 total)
Orcs x20-30 (from the 6th ed box set some armed with double choppas some arrer boys)
Blister of Snotlings (makes ?)

Special:
Orc Boar Chariot


I have a few odds and ends that could result into a few more boys to even out the units. As well as a few fanatics for a nasty surprise or two heh.. but other than that i have a very viable core (as well as A LOT to keep me busy during the winter season)of core troops. I'm sure with some clever converting that i can make a bolt thrower or two.

For the first 500pts of this campaign i think ill start off light and put together some goblins as a scouting force for the "main" orc army. I have always wanted to try my hand at some more goblins (i love my grots in 40k!). Though i doubt i will strike any fear into my opponents hearts i'm sure there will be plenty of laughs and hey who knows throw enough goblins at a problem and who can tell where it will go from there!

Till then friends keep your drinks chilled, though in this weather that shouldn't be too hard!

No comments: