Sunday, January 3, 2010

The beginnings of a saga...

So like any miniature gamer I have been distracted by another project. It all began when Cash announced that the Game Room was throwing a campaign together using the Planetary Empires tile set in February. Seeing that both Jon and Cash wanted to use Orks for the campaign I wanted something a little bit different... I went for Space Wolves!

Now I should say that I am not just jumping on the band wagon, I never really was one to go for the "good guys" in any game I play (I prefer morally gray armies), the wolves were among one of the three Space Marine armies I ever liked ( Dark Angels and Sons of Medusa being the other two). Their savage nature, close combat abilities and distinctive/personalized armor make for something interesting.

As a bonus my brother has also a great love for anything Space Wolves, having remnants from his old army (or pieces of it rather) it is an army we both can use when the mood strikes us. So with my Christmas bonus in hand I went to the store and bought myself a few things to start up my force.

-Space Marine Battalion (which contains: 15 tactical space marines, 5 assault marines, 5 scouts and a rhino).
-Space Wolf Box x2 (20 marines)
-Fantasy Chaos Marauder Box

along with some odds and ends
- 10 marines
- 2 long Fangs
- Wolf Scout, Wolf Guard/Marine x2 one with power fist another with power sword
- Space Wolves Drednought
- 2-3 salvageable Rhinos/Predators/Etc


All and all I think I have quite a good set up plenty of bits to use for conversions and a decent sized army while i'm at it. It won't be easy especially with the vehicles since I will have to kit bash or scrounge a lot to get the rhinos looking respectable but it should be fun.

It took me a couple of hours between washing and clipping everything out of the sprues but with some tea and the Twilight Zone marathon playing all night long I managed to clip and sort everything I purchased.

The next logical thing to do would be to build an army list, now for me list building is quite personal and requires testing. I have to warn that I don't build lists to be optimal as some people do. I hate number crunching and sapping the fun out of the game for the other guy. List building for myself is something more organic if I can call it that.

I find units that I am comfortable with and I make them work one way or another through trial and error. Slowly making small tweaks in the list till I find a good combination of things to make a solid army list. Now for the campaign I want to make roughly three different types of forces. Not that it gains my any other benefit other than it's just something I thought would be cool. Roughly the three forces are veterans, aspirants and recon/mechanized, we shall see how things turn out but for now I am out of here. Till next time!