Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Road to Power Gencon Tournament! Game 2

For my second game in the tournament I was lucky/unlucky enough to draw one of my own group as an opponent. I have played against Jon's Ressers many times in particular Seamus and his belles so I was very familiar with the play style. I cut a break to Jon and I asked him if he wanted to face Sonnia over Lucius because I KNOW how much he hates Lucius.

The mission was Shared Turf War and the lists were:

Jon:
Seamus, The Mad-Hatter -- 6 Cache
Copycat Killer [2ss]
Canine Remains [2ss]
Canine Remains [2ss]
Datsue-Ba [7ss]
Madame Sybelle [6ss]
Rotten Belles [4ss]
Rotten Belles [4ss]
Rotten Belles [4ss]
Schemes: Army of the dead and ?

Sonnia Criid -- 5 Cache
Governor's Proxy [2ss]
Convict Gunslinger [6ss]
Guild Guard [4ss]
Judge [7ss]
Nino Ortega [7ss]
Witchling Stalker [4ss]
Witchling Stalker [4ss]
Schemes: Subjugate and +2 soul stones (for a total of 7)

Since we were on a sewer board we said that the non tiled sewer parts were treated as severe terrain.



The game started out very cat and mouse style as all approaches were very cautious besides Nino taking residence by a small fence. Once I felt I had a good defensive line I started letting loose with every gun/spell at my disposal. This forced Jon and his ressers to take action. The Canine Remains were used to burn out my activation's followed by Datsue-Ba turning them into ghosts. Then he sent Datsue-Ba and an Onyro (from Canine Remains) towards Nino using the buildings on my left as cover.


A nice little close up of Jon's army as it shambles its way towards my troops... or just lures them to their death...

Never having used the Judge before I didn't want to commit him into an attack only to be chopped down for no real gain. So I looked over his card and noticed the "Judged" spell... the first thing I noticed is that it doesn't have the ranged icon for a spell. It was at this point that I made Jon's life hell as I spam cast it against his spirits and undead.

Nino did his best to severely injure any models that did not have cover and continued to get trigger happy off a few times reducing belles to a handful of wounds. When Nino's shenanigans were cut short due to getting jumped by Datsue-Ba and her Onryo friend. I cast "Judged" to get their health low enough for Sonnia to turn them into Witchling Stalkers... needless to say even after I killed a few of my own guys I still ran out of Witchling Stalker miniatures!



It was toward the end of turn 4 that time was being called to finish the round, Seamus moved up to deal with a few things himself but other than that there was no clear winner. So we sent the only models available to try and tie up the objective which resulted in a tie. I believe he had Bodyguard? as his second scheme and I actually managed to get Subjugate off!

Post Game Thoughts:
Not sure what I would of done differently, maybe not waste a turn having Nino set up, since it meant one less turn he was shooting. But even with that minor set back he still did his job. Also at some point in the game I had two Witchling Stalkers who were hunting down the Copy Cat Killer, yes they killed him but they probably would of been better off just running around the objective till the end game... c'est la vie.

Much later on (about 5:30am) me and Jon talked about his performance in the tournament and our game in general. We came to the conclusion that he really needed to paint up another master with a few extra minions. The fact that he didn't have much variation in his lists and could not adapt to the mission hurt him somewhat. Coupled with the fact that he didn't read a lot of counter tactics for other forces meant he went into most games blind as to what his opponent could do.

No comments: